“You get to transfer all that you’ve become and all that you’ve learned to them, so that their starting line is far further ahead than yours was. That’s a legacy that far outlasts fame and money and success because your leadership lives on in the life of another.”
On this solo cast episode of The Generous Leadership® Podcast, host Tricia Halsey addresses the state of our nation’s future as predicted and determined through the system of all systems: Education. Hear why it is imperative more of us step into this arena if we are to shape—and transfer—the soul of our nation to those coming after us.
- The purpose of leadership is to find, equip and place future generous leaders. This is how you leave an exponential, lasting legacy.
- The future of our nation begins and ends on the current Generation Z.
- Who’s responsibility is it to ensure this generation gets where they need?
- Typical education is not at its best and students are struggling, but there is an incredible opportunity right now to change things.
- What’s your role in raising up future leaders? Many practical ideas are given for business leaders, parents, teachers and everyone else!
References and Resources
- “What is the first business of one who practices philosophy (or in our case, learning)? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.” – Epicletus
- “Freedomis a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction.” -Ronald Regan
- Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” -Malcolm X
- “Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another.” – Gilbert Chesterton
- “Education is not the piling on of learning, information, data, facts, skills, or abilities – that’s training or instruction – but is rather making visible what is hidden as a seed.” – Thomas Moore
- United Health Foundation study: Teen Suicide
- Big Idea Project
- “Our role as adults is to help kids discover who they are, why they matter and what they are purposed to do.”
- “Education isn’t just about the head. It should be the forming and informing of emotions, helping young people to see meaning in their life and work, guiding students to forge their own opinions and know what’s the right thing, and how they can do the right thing.”
- “If you believe that we were missing it, that our youngest generation is not as inspired, creative, brave, driven or skilled as they could be, then now is the time you as an influencer can make your legacy exponentially more impactful.”
- “You can help your child (no matter their age), discover maybe for the first time, something they are really truly passionate or curious about. It’s like you all get to go on a treasure hunt for the greatest treasure you’ll ever find. Who they really are.”
- “I think we’ll take back a little more of our humanity that we lost when we abdicated our responsibility to others.”
- “This isn’t about the color of your skin, the amount of money you make, how much school you had or degrees you earned: this is about us being us. Coming together. Leading generously. Guiding an entire generation toward the freedom to learn and become.”